Sunday, June 22, 2008

Bath Time - Mural Mosaic Panel #235

A few months ago I joined the new Mural Mosaic equine artists team. The title of the mural is Le Cadeau de Cheval-The Horse Gift in celebration of the horse.
You can check out the impressive list of artists here: http://www.muralmosaic.com/Horse/artists.html
As the pieces are finished, they're updated here: http://www.muralmosaic.com/Cadeau.html
Each artist was sent a panel painted with part of the design. We were to paint an equine-themed piece that fit with the color and design of the panel. I received a bluish panel that reminded me of water. Looking through my reference photos, I found a great picture of Rose playing with the hose during one of her summer baths.
The finished mural will be displayed at various locations across North America beginning with THE MASTERS at Spruce Meadows in Calgary, Alberta Canada on September 3, 2008. A book will also be made featuring each panel.

Bath Time

Since I was 14 years old, my horse Rose has been with me. When I got her she was a 6 year old retired racehorse who had far more energy than I knew what to do with. Luckily for me she was always a great teacher. I learned how to be calm and patient and ride through Rose’s happy energetic explosions. Early on it certainly was frustrating but she made me work hard to be a better rider. She wouldn’t allow me to be just a passenger. Rose has always pushed me to ride better, to find new solutions to her issues and to understand what she’s telling me. Through the years we have participated in 4-H together, moved to college, and eventually Rose and I settled in New Jersey. Because of all the gifts she’s given me I felt she was a perfect fit for the theme of Le Cadeau du Cheval.

This piece depicts bath time which is one of her favorite times in the summer. She loves to lean into the spray on her head and drinks from the hose. She always seems to be smiling at me when she’s getting cooled off and no matter how many times it happens it always makes me smile as well.

Now at 24, although a bit arthritic, she’s content to be a wonderful trail horse. I can’t imagine any other horse being such a consistent teacher and friend for 18 years.

The original panel:

No comments: