Monday, January 21, 2008

Abstract Friesian drawing


Last fall I went to a Friesian horse show with two other members of the Equine Art Guild to photograph the horses as reference for future work. It was a rainy day so we weren't sure what we'd get but the sun came out and we ended up getting some great pictures.
I'm working on some abstract artwork for an art show in April. I started this piece awhile ago from the photos I took at the Friesian show. Friesian horses are known for their black coats, long mane and tail and feathered hooves. They also have an intelligent, willing spirit. I called this one Patience. The stallions that posed for this piece seemed so calm and patient. It's 20 inches by 16 inches.
This and other pieces will be at Grand National Art Show at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, CA from April 4-12, 2008. The show runs in conjunction with the Grand National Rodeo, Horse and Stock Show.

1 comment: